Saturday, January 2, 2010

Temple Square Nightmare!

Alex's family was in town for the holidays, so we tried to do things around town. Tuesday night we decided to go downtown to see the lights at Temple Square. Since it was snowing pretty good and the roads were backed up with traffic, we decided to take TRAX to be safer (Oh, if we had only known what was to come....). The kids loved riding the train even though it was freezing.
However, once we got to our stop at Temple Square, Kaitlyn fell out of the train head first onto the ground and busted her head. Alex grabbed her, felt the gash in her head and said we had to get her to a hospital. I was freaking out! Luckily, there was a hotel right across the street, so Alex ran over there with Kaitlyn to get help as I managed to gather David and Nathaniel along with the blankets, coats, hats, and double stroller to make our way to the hotel. There was a guy at the hotel that was so nice to help us out and get towels for Kaitlyn's bloody mess and then offered to take us to the hospital in the hotel van. So, we all jumped in and made our way to the LDS Hospital in The Avenues a few minutes away.

Once there, they got Kaitlyn right in and out with only 2 stitches underneath and about 4-5 on the top. I waited in the waiting room with the boys while Alex took Kaitlyn in (because I don't do well with that stuff....He even remembered to take photos!).
Alex said Kaitlyn did really well and was so brave. She didn't even cry when they gave her the numbing shots or anything. The hardest part was just that they had to tie her arms behind her back so she wouldn't mess with anything so that freaked her out a little bit. Apparently as they were waiting to get everything stitched up Kaitlyn kept touching the gash and saying, "Put band-aid right here..." Then she'd look at her hand and see all the blood on it and say, "Ewww...Wipe on Daddy..."

I think David had the hardest time of all. He was just bawling from seeing Kaitlyn hurt and all the blood everywhere. He sure loves his sister!


* FYI.... The pictures of Kaitlyn's head don't do the injury justice. These were taken AFTER it was all cleaned up and the bleeding had slowed down... It was a mess before!*

That night, Kaitlyn slept in our bed because the doctors told us to keep an eye on her all night and wake her up about every hour to make sure she didn't have a concussion. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep that night. But she was fine and is doing great now. Monday she can have the stitches taken out and hopefully everything will heal up great.

During the time that we were at the hospital, the rest of Alex's family (who had already made their way to Temple Square on the train before us) were scrambling to get back to Sandy where we left our cars at the TRAX station so they could get a car up to us to drive home rather than riding the train back. Apparently as they were walking to the station, some crazy homeless guy came up and was about to attack them saying they had stolen his money. Blair (Alex's brother) stood in front of the homeless guy so everyone else could get away and took his glove off ready to punch the guy in the nose if he wouldn't back away. Luckily the guy backed off and it didn't end in blows....

But oh, what a crazy night!!!! :)

5 comments:

Melonius said...

Holy cow! That doesn't sound like fun. I think that was the night I picked my mom up from the airport and it took 4 hours. not a good night... We went to Temple Square on Christmas Day. And learned that you can see the lights, but all the buildings are locked. Needless to say, we didn't stay very long.

Harrington said...

That is terrible. But with kids accidents happen, right. I always tell myself that. I hope she is okay. Did she trip when getting off the trax? Hope you had a great Christmas.

Ashley Schill said...

What a scary night! I am so glad she is okay. It sounds like she was such a brave little girl through all of it. =)

blkris said...

Talk about a crazy night! Sheesh! Glad everything turned out okay. Hope you have a better week!

Dan Felt said...

If it makes you feel any better, I can testify that this is an inherited trait from Alex's side... I was best friends with Adam from as early as I can remember until I moved away at age 10, and I can't even tell you how many stitches when into that kid! I just have these messed up memories of going out to play with my friend and they kept ending in the ER! :) I'm glad your daughter is ok, and I wish you and your family the best! - Dan (ps - tell Alex hello, even though I doubt he remembers me)